Sunday, January 23, 2011

Riverside Aquatics Complex - Grand opening!

The Riverside Aquatics Complex had its Grand Opening yesterday at 10:00 am, and the facility is breathtaking. I'm sure that this is my opinion because I grew up swimming and diving, so the new Aquatics Complex is everything I wish I could have had access to when I was training. It is on the Riverside Community College Campus next to the old pool, which is still there. There are 2 sections of the complex. It is one large pool with a divider between the diving area and the swimming area. On the side that has swimming it is Olympic sized with enough room for 10 lanes and for a water polo game to go on at the same time. This allows multiple sports to practice at the same time. They also have synchronized swimming that will practice at the pool. On the diving side there are two 1-meter springboard diving boards, and two 3-meter diving boards. This is great for people who are training to do synchronized diving. In the middle there is a monstrous tower that has a 3-meter, 5-meter, 7-meter, and 10-meter platform diving board. This tower doesn't look as high from the ground as it does when you're up there. (Trust me, I know.)

I wasn't able to get there right at 10, so I didn't get to see the ribbon cutting, but I was able to see all of the performances. They had free hot dogs, chips, and drinks for the people who attended, which was a great idea because it was about 80 degrees out. (I think our winter was colder and shorter this year than it has ever been!)

They had performances from the synchronized swimming team, the water polo team, the swimming team, and the diving team. They also had some pretty famous people there signing autographs including Laura Wilkinson and Greg Louganis. There were numerous vendors from around Riverside selling products and recruiting people for their teams. My personal favorite performance was at the end when they had a comedy dive show. This was entertaining and incredible to watch. For the grand finale Greg Louganis got up to perform some dives. He has won multiple Olympic Gold medals, so it was pretty exciting to watch him first hand. I'm really excited to come to the Aquatics Complex to watch some competitions and to see what it brings to Riverside in the future.

Check out my pictures on Facebook! :)
http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/pages/Riverside-Guide/184787721545833?v=wall

No comments:

Post a Comment